Come on people! I’ve been in so many conversations with friends, peers, colleagues and acquaintances talking about all the white men in power (still), and how we need to bring down the patriarchy. However, when you pull back the curtains, dig a little deeper, hear the back story, I’m amazed at how many people I know are still entrenching those power structures.
- Who do you go to for advice?
- Who’s “wisdom” are you reinforcing?
- Who are you having those behind-closed-doors meetings with to input into your projects and talks?
- Who are you connecting to whom?
- Who are you following on social media? (Whose voices are in your consciousness)
- Who are you championing on social media? (Sadly most people just promote their own organisation’s work on Twitter but if you are RT’ing things, is it always the voice and opinions of white men?)
- Who are you trying to impress or influence?
- Who are you commissioning to do work?
- Who are you partnering with to do work?
A short post but words are easy – awareness, intent and actions are not. Maybe these are questions we can all ask ourselves more often.